What is discernment? - Because God’s call to a particular vocation involves a commitment of one’s life to follow the call, consideration of what God’s call for one’s life is necessary.
This prayerful consideration is discernment.
How can I know God’s plan for my life?
- Prayer. Conversation with God; speaking to Him from the heart. Ask God to reveal His plan for you and then take the time in silence to listen.
- Sacraments. Attending Mass at least every Sunday (daily, if possible) and Confession frequently disposes the soul to grace and attunes the heart to God.
- Get advice. Talking with someone you trust can be extremely helpful in discernment. Reach out to the Vocation Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Go on retreat. Taking time away to be with God in prayer and silence can be very helpful in discerning your vocation.
- Visit. Many seminaries and religious communities host live-in experiences where you can get a glimpse into the priesthood or religious life.