He attended St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth, where he was ordained in June 1895, the centenary of the foundation of the college.
After the ordination, he served in the diocese of Portsmouth, before joining the staff of St. Munchin’s College.
After eleven years as president of the college, he was appointed PP Glin in 1920. On the death of Bishop Hallinan, he was consecrated bishop in March 1925. B
ishop for twenty one years, he died on 13 March 1945 and is buried in St. John’s Cathedral.